Message from Miss Vanessa:
February is the start of competition season – and we can’t wait to take the awesome routines our company kids have been working on to audiences around the midwest this season. Our company kids work so hard all year and I am so proud of their progress! Dancers ages 6 and up can audition in June for our 2021 Company – if your dancer is serious about dance and wants more challenge and performance opportunities, Company might be the right program for them. Ask your teachers and stay tuned for more information about our competitive program.
Parent Participation Week
We LOVE Parent Participation Week at the studio! Come in to your dancer’s class (one parent per dancer only, please) to learn a little bit about what your dancer has learned this year.
Parents, please plan to fully participate – wear clothes you can move in, and leave your street shoes at the studio door. Socks or bare feet are great! We can’t wait to dance with you!
Costumes will start to go home soon!
Recital costumes arrive between the holiday break and late April. We’ll send an email when your class has their costumes ready to be distributed in the next class session. Here are a few tips to help you care for your costumes between the time they go home and recital events starting in May:
1 – Dancers in dress code (wearing a leotard) can easily slip their costume on over their leotard to try them on at the end of class. This is just one of the many ways that being in dress code pays off!
2 – Please be prepared to label every costume piece as soon as it comes home.
3 – NEW THIS YEAR – We are sending home all costumes hung up and in garment bags. Please help us keep the costumes in great condition by keeping them hung up nicely and all accessories together.
4 – Costumes are not to be worn for play or other activities until pictures, dress rehearsal, and recital. We want to see them at their best in June (and they make great dress-up outfits after the performances!)
5 – Specific tights and shoes are needed for each class – your instructor will detail what’s needed (and we will send this information home as we get closer to pictures and recitals) in class. We have the shades of shoes and tights needed in the dance shop and will have a sale on tights around spring break to help families stock up on all the tights they need for performance 🙂
6 – Small alterations are sometimes needed to help a costume fit just right – we have a group of veteran parents who will be available as we get closer to recital for help with strap adjustments or other small fixes. More information on this opportunity will be sent home this spring.
Recital Preparation & Opportunities
We are teaching recital routines (most classes are near halfway done!) and will have our recital website online by the end of February. Here are the basics you should know now:
- Find the showtime for your class(es) on the schedules (www.thepointeschool.com/schedules) or ask us at the Front Desk. We have three unique shows on Sunday, June 7 at 12:00, 3:00, and 6:00.
- Mark your calendars for ticket sales that will open April 2 (every family has 4 complimentary tickets – reserve those seats and purchase additional tickets early for the best seat selection)
- Make sure you have picture week (May 17-21, most classes Monday through Thursday will have photos on their same class day but an adjusted time) on your calendar! The adjusted schedule will be sent home in February for that week.
- Make sure you have dress rehearsals (June 2-4) on your calendar! Dress rehearsals are required for dancers to perform in recital.
- Stay tuned for information about the Father Daughter Dance performance opportunity for dancers in first grade and up!
- Get ready for practice videos, music, and more for your dancer’s class(es) and the finale that includes all dancers in the recital.
- When we get more information ready, we’ll create a dedicated Recital Page (just like the Holiday Showcase page) with all of the information you need. Stay tuned for that and bookmark that page when it becomes available!
Where to Find What you Need
We’re at the front desk from 4:30 – 7:00 PM Monday through Thursday and 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM on Saturday mornings. We’re also available via email: firstname.lastname@example.org any time!
For the dress code for all classes: www.thepointeschool.com/dress-code
For all policies and important dates: www.thepointeschool.com/policies
To shop for awesome PSD gear: www.shoppointeschoolofdance.com