Message from Miss Vanessa:
May is FULL ON recital mode – we’ve completed a successful competition season, routines are all taught and we’re working on just polishing them to make them look great for the stage, and we’re eager to showcase the hard work our students have put in to their classes all year! Recital day is truly my favorite day of the year. There’s something magical about a young dancer having their first performance onstage, maybe working through some nerves, and then coming off stage beaming with confidence and pride. Equally magical, but very bittersweet, are the senior soloists walking off stage after their performance that they’ve worked so hard on and waited to perform for years. I am excited for our audiences to get a glimpse of all of our programming in each recital to really see the progression a dancer can take through their years of training at The Pointe. Recital and dress rehearsals are a great way to get to know the work of a teacher you haven’t had before (our choreography is literally our hearts on the stage), a style your dancer hasn’t taken yet (I’m thrilled for audiences to see our first Acro recital piece!), or a view in to the variety of programs that we offer (performance groups, boys-only classes, Chance to Dance classes, adult dance, competition teams, home school classes).
This Newsletter is full of important information to help you and your dancers have the best recital season yet. Preparation is key for any successful performance – and also key for a successful picture week and dress rehearsal! If you have questions after reading through these details, please don’t hesitate to reach out. Our front desk staff and instructors are happy to answer questions to help you and your dancer feel ready for recital.
Recital Details are Online!
Our Photo Week and Dress Rehearsal schedules, show orders, ticket ordering, t-shirt and flower orders, practice videos, practice music, and more are online here: www.thepointeschool.com/recital-2019
Recital season is busy and fun – please double check that all important recital dates are in your calendar.
Remember – picture week begins Sunday, May 19!
Recital Events Guide:
May 10 – last day to order Recital T-shirts, flower pre-orders, and extra program pre-orders! Order here: www.shoppointeschoolofdance.com
May 11 – Free minor costume alterations in the studio lobby from 9 AM – noon. Bun and stage makeup tutorial from 1:00-1:30 PM in Studio A.
Picture Week (May 19 – 23) – In place of regular classes this week, we have photos and in-studio dress rehearsal.
- Full costume (be sure to have the correct tights and shoes!), hair, and makeup
- 15 minutes for photos in Studio A (we’ll do a group photo of the class and individuals for any dancers who want them)
- 15 minutes for Studio Dress Rehearsal in Studio C – we’ll run through the dance with costumes
- Studios B and D will be open for costume storage. Studio B can be an additional dressing room if needed.
- Parents, if you go in to the studio rooms, please remove your street shoes before walking on the dance floor.
- Please check the Dress Rehearsal Schedule for arrival times, backstage times, and stage times for each dance
- EVERY DANCER will need to be at the Finale rehearsal for their show to rehearse the final bows
- Full costume, hair, and makeup
- Take a moment before or after your class(es) rehearse to see the check-in area, backstage area, etc.
- Parents may take photos (no flash, please!) and videos during dress rehearsal. For the safety of our students, photography and videography are not allowed during the recital.
Recital Day! (June 9) – at the Paramount Theatre, downtown Cedar Rapids
- Dancer check-in and theatre doors will open 30 minutes before each show. Please do not arrive much earlier to help us avoid too much crowding in the lobby in between shows.
- We keep a secure backstage with only our performers, PSD Staff, and approved volunteers backstage. Parents and guests are not allowed backstage.
- Each dancer will receive one complimentary program at check-in. Extras will be available for purchase in the lobby.
- Dancer check-in and check-out uses a lanyard system. At check-in, the dancer receives a lanyard that they’ll wear backstage and only remove to perform. Their parent will receive a matching lanyard. After the show, one family member will bring the lanyard to the table, and we’ll bring the dancer to them. Dancer safety is our #1 priority and this system keeps our backstage area secure.
- Each recital will be 2 hours or less with no intermission.
- Dancers will stay backstage for the entire recital. We have our whole staff, teaching assistant staff, and volunteers backstage to make the experience fun! We will play a movie, have coloring books for little ones, etc. Dancers have almost as much fun backstage as they do performing on stage!
Stay tuned to our Facebook page for Recital tips from our staff and veteran dance parents! If you don’t like and follow our page yet, find us here: www.facebook.com/thepointeschoolofdance
Summer 2019 at The Pointe!
This summer is set up to be the BEST one yet. We have camps, classes, clinics, and intensives set up to have lots of opportunities for dancing fun for dancers of all ages and experience levels – register now to secure your spot in the class and camp times that you prefer!
New PSD Apparel Store is Online Now!
We heard that our families were wanting more options for PSD apparel and gear – and we’re thrilled to launch our new online store, open 24/7, with awesome PSD items! Recital t-shirts and flower pre-orders are open through May 10. Check out the cool new designs and production schedule here: www.shoppointeschoolofdance.com
Performing Groups at The Pointe – Sign up to Audition!
We have a thriving performing group program at The Pointe – with a place for every dancer who loves to perform.
Community Team is our performance-focused group that represents The Pointe at local events and performances. Open to dancers ages 6 and up who take two regular weekly classes plus their Community Team rehearsal. Learn more and sign up to audition here.
Mini Company is our introduction to dance competition for dancers ages 6-8. Dancers take ballet, tap, jazz, and the Mini Company rehearsal, and attend three regional competitions. Learn more and sign up to audition here.
PSD Hip Hop Crew is our (new!) all-boys hip hop competitive group for dancers ages 6+ who take two regular weekly classes and the hip hop crew rehearsal. Learn more and sign up to audition here.
Company is our competitive team for dancers ages 9+ who love to perform and want to accelerate their growth by training with a team of dedicated dancers. Company performs in a production number and group dances, with opportunities to also compete solos, duets, and trios as well. Our flexible company structure allows dancers and families to choose the number of routines and studio hours they commit to. Learn more and sign up to audition here.
Intensive Track is our (new!) add-on for dedicated Company dancers who want to compete at the Elite level. Focusing on developing both the athletic and artistic aspects of the dancer, the Intensive Track students will work in smaller groups with increased conditioning and technique-focused classes. Dancers interested in the Intensive Track will interview for acceptance after Company auditions. Learn more and sign up to audition here.
Reminders – Attendance & Makeup Classes
During the month of May, we are focused fully on recital – so we ask dancers not to do makeup classes in May. Please make every effort to be in your classes – each class has its own unique recital routine and nothing can replace the valuable rehearsal time in these last few weeks!
Important Dates – Complete School Year Calendar
How to stay in the loop with everything happening at The Pointe:
We primarily communicate through email – please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your “safe senders” list, check emails regularly, and read them thoroughly.
Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/thepointeschoolofdance
Join our private Facebook group just for PSD Families: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1921735994748769
Follow us on Instagram: @thepointeschoolofdance
Coming soon: text message updates (stay tuned – we’re working on our system now!)
Call or email our office (we’ll always get back to you within one business day during our office hours): email@example.com and 319-377-5292
View our policy page for makeup class policies, tution and costume payment breakdowns, and more here.
Thank you again for your support of our studio and community. We are having a great year, and are so thankful that you’re a part of it!